Main Article Content
Microbial cell wall is mostly synthesized by the glycosylated proteins with the distinct enzymatic activity. In this review we have concentrated on the description of the certain steps of glycosylation and their effect on the cell wall integrity and yeast to hyphae transition, the process enhancing the pathogenic properties of C.albicans.
The glycoproteins play an invaluable role in C. albicans virulence and they modulate adhesive, invasive, morphogenetic and immune stimulating properties of the pathogen as well as its susceptibility to the antifungal agents. Therefore, understanding of C. albicans glycobiology might let us expand the arsenal in the war against fungal enemies. The early stages of N-, O-glycans and GPI-anchor synthesis requires dolichol - the lipid carrier of sugar residues. Diminished supply of dolichol causes series of defects in C. albicans cells, among which aberrant protein glycosylation is the most evident. Furthermore, the relations between the cell wall composition and integrity, resistance to some antifungal and cell wall disturbing agents and dolichol dependent glycosylation are observed. Moreover relevance of these reactions for the morphological differentiation of C.albicans is described.
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
2.Ghannoum MA, Jurevic RJ, Mukherjee PK, Cui F, Sikaroodi M, et al. 2010 Characterization of the Oral Fungal Microbiome (Mycobiome) in Healthy Individuals. PLoS Pathogens 6(1)
3. Kam L.W., Lin J.D. 2002 Management of systemic candidal infections in the intensive care unit. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 59, 33–41 K
4. Barnett J. A., 2008 A history of research on yeasts : medical yeasts part 1, Candida albicans. Yeast 25, 385-417
5. Bennett R.J., Johnson A. D. 2003 Completion of a parasexual cycle in Candida albicans by induced chromosome loss in tetraploid strains. EMBO J. 22, 2505–15
6. Santos M. A., Tuite M. F. 1995 The CUG codon is decoded in vivo as serine and not leucine in Candida albicans. Nucleic Acids Res. 23, 1481–1486
7. Miller M. G. & Johnson A. D. 2002 White–opaque switching in Candida albicans is controlled by mating-type locus homeodomain proteins and allows efficient mating. Cell 110, 293–302
8. Anwar I., Muhammad F., Awais M. M., Akhtar M. 2017 A review of β-glucans as a growth promoter and antibiotic alternative against enteric pathogens in poultry; World's Poultry Science Journal 73(03):1-11 DOI: 10.1017/S0043933917000241
9. Anderson R. G., Hussey H., Baddiley J. 1972 The mechanism of wall synthesis in bacteria. The organization of enzymes and isoprenoid phosphates in the membrane. Biochem. J. 127, 11–25
10 Pennock J. F., Hemming F. W., Morton R. A. (1960) Dolichol: a naturally occurring isoprenoid alcohol. Nature 186, 470–472
11. Behrens N. H. and Leloir L. F. 1970 Dolichol monophosphate glucose: an intermediate in glucose transfer in liver. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 66, 153–159
12. Valtersson C., van Duijn G., Verkleij A. J., Chojnacki T., de Kruijff B., Dallner G. (1985) The influence of dolichol, dolichyl esters, and dolichyl phosphate on phospholipid polymorphism and fluidity in model membranes. J Biol Chem 260, 2742–51
13. Sato M., Sato K., Nishikawa S., Hirata A., Kato J., Nakano A. 1999 The yeast RER2 gene, identified by endoplasmic reticulum protein localization mutations, encodes cis-prenyltransferase, a key enzyme in dolichol synthesis. Mol Cell Biol 19, 471–83
14..Belgareh-Touze N., Corral-Debrinski M., Launhardt H., Galan J. M., Munder T., Le Panse S., et al. 2003 Yeast functional analysis: identification of two essential genes involved in ER to Golgi trafficking. Traffic 4, 607–17
15. Albright C. F., Orlean P., Robbins P. W. 1989 A 13-amino acid peptide in three yeast glycosyltransferases may be involved in dolichol recognition. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86, 7366–9.
16.Bergamini E. 2003 Dolichol: an essential part in the antioxidant machinery of cell membranes. Biogerontology 4, 337–9
17. Cantagrel V. and Lefeber D. J. 2011 From glycosylation disorders to dolichol biosynthesis defects: a new class of metabolic diseases. J Inherit Metab Dis 34, 859–867
18. Grabińska K. and Palamarczyk G. 2002 Dolichol biosynthesis in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae: an insight into the regulatory role of farnesyl diphosphate synthase FEMS Yeast Research 2, 259-265
19. Krag S.S. 1998 The importance of being dolichol. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 243, 1-5
20. Tollbom O. and Dallner G. 1986 Dolichol and dolichyl phosphate in human tissues. Br J Exp Pathol 67, 757–764
21.Szkopinska A., Swiezewska E., Rytka J. (2002) Induction of the synthesis of an additional family of long-chain dolichols in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Effect of starvation and ageing. Acta Biochimica Polonica 49, 781–787
22.. Rip J.W., Rupar C.A., Ravi K., Carroll K.K., (1985) Distribution, metabolism and function of dolichol and polyprenols, Prog Lipid Res 24, 269-309
23..Jung P. and Tanner W. 1973 Identification of the lipid intermediate in yeast mannan biosynthesis. Eur. J. Biochem. 37, 1-6
24 Hunter W.N. 2007 The non-mevalonate pathway of isoprenoid precursor biosynthesis. J. Biol. Chem. 282, 21573–21577
25 Endo S., Zhang Y. W., Takahashi S., Koyama T. 2003 Identification of human dehydrodolichyl diphosphate synthase gene. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1625, 291-5
26. Schenk B., Fernandez F., Waechter C.J. 2001 The ins(ide) and out(side) of dolichyl phosphate biosynthesis and recycling in the endoplasmic reticulum
27. Sato M., Fujisaki S., Sato K., Nishimura Y., Nakano A. 2001 Yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae has two cis-prenyltransferases with different properties and localizations. Implication for their distinct physiological roles in dolichol synthesis. Genes Cells. 6, 495-506
28. Grabińska K.A., Edani B.H., Park E.J., Kraehling J.R., Sessa W.C. 2017; A conserved C-terminal RXG motif in the NgBR subunit of cis-prenyltransferase is critical for prenyltransferase activity. J Biol Chem. 2017 Oct 20;292 (42):17351-17361. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M117.806034. Epub 2017 Aug 23
29. Juchimiuk M, Orłowski J., Gawarecka K., Świeżewska E., Ernst J.F., Palamarczyk G. (2014 Candida albicans cis-prenyltransferase Rer2 is required for protein glycosylation, cell wall integrity and hypha formation. Fungal Genet Biol. 2014 Aug;69:1-12.
doi: 10.1016/j.fgb.2014.05.004. Epub 2014 May 27
30. . Varki A, Cummings RD, Esko JD, et al. 2009 Essentials of Glycobiology. 2nd edition., editors.; Cold Spring Harbor (NY): Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press
31. Niewiadomska M., Janik A., Perlińska-Lenart U., Piłsyk S., Palamarczyk G., Kruszewska J.S. 2017 The role of Alg13 N-acetylglucosaminyl transferase in the expression of pathogenic features of Candida albicans.Biochim Biophys Acta Gen Subj. 2017 Apr;1861(4):789-801. doi: 10.1016/j.bbagen.2017.01.019. Epub 2017 Jan 24
32. Juchimiuk M., Kruszewska J., Palamarczyk G. 2015 Dolichol phosphate mannose synthase from the pathogenic yeast Candida albicans is a multimeric enzyme. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1850(11):22 doi:10.1016/j.bbagen.2015.08.012. Epub 2015 Aug 2
33.Fernandez F., Rush J. S., Toke D. A., Han G. S., Quinn J. E., Carman G. M., Choi J. Y., Voelker D. R., Aebi M., Waechter C. J. (2001) The CWH8 gene encodes a dolichyl pyrophosphate phosphatase with a luminally oriented active site in the endoplasmic reticulum of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem 276(44):41455–41464