Main Article Content
As the tide advances towards minimally invasive surgical approaches which are favourable over open methods in terms of patient analgesia requirements and recovery time, Natural Orifice Transluminal Endoscopic Surgery (NOTES) has emerged as a technique within gynaecology which uses laparoscopic instruments and methods without the need for abdominal incisions. NOTES surgery has been conducted within gynecology via a vaginal colpotomy to perform procedures such as adnexectomy, hysterectomy, myomectomy and urogynecological procedures. This review summarises the available literature data on NOTES surgery with preliminary results showing reduced postoperative pain, improved cosmesis, and the potential for faster patient recovery and hospital discharge as compared to traditional methods. Larger, more robust data is needed to truly compare the efficacy of gynecological NOTES over traditional methods, however initial literature suggests this may be a promising innovation emerging in the field of gynecology.
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
2. Yoshiki N. Review of transvaginal natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery in gynecology. Gynecol Minim Invasive Ther 2017; 6(1): 1–5
3. Santos BF, Hungness ES. Natural orifice translumenal endoscopic surgery: Progress in humans since white paper. World J Gastroenterol 2011; 17(13): 1655–1665
4. Palanivelu C, Rajan PS, Rangarajan M, Parthasarathi R, Senthilnathan P, Prasad M, Transvaginal endoscopic appendectomy in humans: A unique approach to NOTES - World’s first report. In: Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques. 2013 Springer, pp. 1343–1347
5. Baekelandt JF, de Mulder PA, le Roy I, Mathieu C, Laenen A, Enzlin P, Weyers S, Mol BWJ, Bosteels JJA, Hysterectomy by transvaginal natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery versus laparoscopy as a day-care procedure: a randomised controlled trial. 2019 BJOG 126: 105–113
6. Lee CL, Wu KY, Su H, Ueng SH, Yen CF. Transvaginal Natural-Orifice Transluminal Endoscopic Surgery (NOTES) in Adnexal Procedures. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2019; 19: 509–513
7. Wang, CJ, Wu PY, Kuo HH, Yu HT, Huang CY, Tseng HT. Natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery-assisted versus laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy (NAOC vs. LOC): a case-matched study. Surg Endosc 2016; 30(3): 1227-1234
8. Stavroulis, A, Memtsa M, Yoong W. Methods for specimen removal from the peritoneal cavity after laparoscopic excision. Obstet Gynaecol 2013; 15: 26–30
9. Garry R. Health economics of hysterectomy. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2005; 19(3): 451-465
10. Mukhopadhaya N, Manyonda I. The hysterectomy story in the United Kingdom. J Mid-life Health 2013; 4: 40
11. Aarts JWM, Nieboer TE, Johnson N, Tavender E, Garry R, Mol BWJ, Kluivers KB, Surgical approach to hysterectomy for benign gynecological disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; 2015(8): CD003677
12. Benassi L, Rossi T, Kaihura CT, Ricci L, Bedocchi L, Galanti B, Vadora E. Abdominal or vaginal hysterectomy for enlarged uteri: A randomized clinical trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2002; 187: 1561–1565
13. Karkia R, Giacchino T, Taylor J, Ghaffar A, Gupta A, Kovoor E. Hysterectomy and Adenextomy via transvaginal natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (vNOTES): A UK perspective with a case series of 33 patients. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2019; 242: 29–32
14. Su H, Yen C-F, Wu K-Y, Han C-M, Lee C-L. Hysterectomy via transvaginal natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES): Feasibility of an innovative approach. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol 2012; 51(2): 217-221
15. Terzi H, Turkay U, Uzun ND, Salıcı M. Hysterectomy and salpingo-oophorectomy by transvaginal natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (V-NOTES) assisted by an umbilical camera: Case report and new hybrid technique in gynecology. Int J Surg Case Rep 2018; 51: 349-351
16. Baekelandt J. Total Vaginal NOTES Hysterectomy: A New Approach to Hysterectomy. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2015; 22: 1088–1094
17. Baekelandt J, De Mulder PA, Le Roy I, et al. Postoperative outcomes and quality of life following hysterectomy by natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES) compared to laparoscopy in women with a non-prolapsed uterus and benign gynaecological disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2017; 208:6-15
18. Kurman RJ, Shih I-M, The Origin and Pathogenesis of Epithelial Ovarian Cancer: A Proposed Unifying Theory. Am J Surg Pathol 2010; 34(3): 433-443
19. Agostini A, Bretelle F, Cravello L, Maisonneuve AS, Roger V, Blanc B. Vaginal hysterectomy in nulliparous women without prolapse: a prospective comparative study. BJOG 2003; 110: 515–518
20. Younas K, Hadoura E, Majoko F, Bunkheila A. A review of evidence-based management of uterine fibroids. Obstet Gynecol 2016: 18: 33–42
21. Bhave Chittawar P, Franik S, Pouwer AW, Farquhar C. Minimally invasive surgical techniques versus open myomectomy for uterine fibroids. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014 Oct 21;(10):CD004638
22. Jin C, Hu Y, Chen chan X, Zheng yun F, Lin F, Zhou K, Chen di F, Gu zhi H. Laparoscopic versus open myomectomy-A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2009; 145(1): 14-21
23. Magos AL, Bournas N, Sinha R, Richardson RE, O’Connor H. Vaginal myomectomy. BJOG 1994; 101: 1092–1094
24. Baekelandt J. Transvaginal natural-orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery: a new approach to myomectomy. Fertil Steril 2018; 109(1): 179
25. Liu FW, Galvan-Turner VB, Pfaendler KS, Longoria TC, Bristow RE, A critical assessment of morcellation and its impact on gynecologic surgery and the limitations of the existing literature. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015: 212(6): 717-724
26. Moehrer B, Ellis G, Carey M, Wilson P. Laparoscopic colposuspension for urinary incontinence in women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017; 2017(7): CD002239
27. Liu J, Kohn J, Fu H, Guan Z, Guan X. Transvaginal Natural Orifice Transluminal Endoscopic Surgery for Sacrocolpopexy: A Pilot Study of 26 Cases. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2019; 26: 748–753
28. Lowenstein L, Baekelandt J, Paz Y, Lauterbach R, Matanes E, Transvaginal Natural Orifice Transluminal Endoscopic Hysterectomy and Apical Suspension of the Vaginal Cuff to the Uterosacral Ligament. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2019; 26: 1015
29. Morgan DM, Kamdar NS, Swenson CW, Kobernik EK, Sammarco AG, Nallamothu B Nationwide trends in the utilization of and payments for hysterectomy in the United States among commercially insured women. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2018; 218: 425.e1-425.e18.
30. Biswas N, Hogston P. Surgical risk from obesity in gynecology. Obstet Gynecol 2011; 13: 87–91
31. Baekelandt J. Total Vaginal NOTES Hysterectomy: A New Approach to Hysterectomy. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2015;22(6):1088-94.