Main Article Content
Thank you, friends of Surgery, and the European Society of Medicine, for asking me to write in the Advances of Surgery.
I am a cardiologist in the United States, so you might wonder, as do I, why I have been invited to write an essay in Advances in Surgery. I am a medical writer, but mostly of essays and poems. I do have a recent book published, Departure From the Darkness and Cold: the Hope of Renewal for the Soul of Medicine in Patient Care - 50 essays and poems describing interactions between patients and clinicians manifesting the soul of medicine - some of which are in this manuscript.
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
2. Hergott L. A Separate Sacrifice. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2007;147(12):896.
3. Hergott L. Sala de Esperanza. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2012;156:66.
4. Hergott L. Playing the Moonlight Sonata from Memory: Celebrating the Wonders of Our
Difficult Life. JAMA. 2013;310(2):147-148.
5. Hergott L. Regarding a Letter to a Dying Friend. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2019;170(4):274.
6. Hergott L. On Duty in the Surgery Waiting Room. Annals of internal Medicine. 2020;172(3):220.