Time Perspective and Quality of Life in Persons Living with HIV in the Brazilian Context
Main Article Content
Background: Time perspective can be an important variable for the understanding the quality of life of people living with HIV/AIDS.
Aims: The objective was to examine the relation between quality of life and time perspective among persons living with HIV receiving care from public health services in Brazil.
Methods: Data were collected at four public health services in Brazil. Hierarchical regression analyses were then performed for each of six quality of life domains.
Results: The subscales associated with high quality of life in physical and level of independence domains were low past-negative and high future orientation; psychological and environmental domains were low past-negative, high past-positive and high future orientations; social relations domain were high past-positive and high future orientations; and spirituality, religion and personal beliefs domain was low past-negative orientation.
Conclusion: The hypothesis that time constructs have implications for the experience of the disease and for evaluation of quality of life was proven determined by positive orientations like future and past-positive and past-negative orientation.
Keywords: quality of life; time perspective; health-related quality of life; time perception; AIDS.
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
2. Parker R. O Fim da Aids? Associação Brasileira Interdisciplinar de Aids. 2015.
3. Ghosh AK, Sarkar A, Mitsuya H. HIV-Associated Neurocognitive Disorder (HAND) and the Prospect of Brain-Penetrating Protease Inhibitors for Antiretroviral Treatment. Medical Research Archives. 2017; 5:4.
4. Ministério da Saúde. Boletim Epidemilógico – Aids e DST, 2015; 1-100.
5. Ministério da Saúde. Boletim Epidemilógico – HIV/Aids, 2020; 1-68.
6. Cronje JH, Williams M, Steenkamp L, Venter D, Elkonin D. The quality of life of HIV-infected South African university students: Experiences with the WHOQOL- HIV-Bref. AIDS Care. 2016; 20(36): 1-4. https://doi.org/10.1080/09540121.2016.1234688
7. Hipolito RL, Oliveira DC, Gomes AMT, Costa TL. Representações sociais da qualidade de vida no HIV/AIDS: o papel do tempo de diagnóstico. Rev Enferm UERJ. 2014; 22(6):753-759.
8. Laguette V, Apostolidis T, Dany L, Bellon N, Grimaud JC, Lagouanelle- Simeoni MC. Quality of life and time perspective in inflammatory bowel disease patients. Quality of Life Research. 2013; 22(10): 2721-2736. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-013-0399-4
9. Xiao Z, Li X, Qiao S, Zhou Y, Shen Z. Social support, depression, and quality of life among people living with HIV in Guangxi, China. AIDS Care. 2016; 29(3): 319-325. https://doi.org/10.1080/09540121.2016.1224298
10. Akinboro AO, Akinyemi SO, Olaitan PB, Raji AA, Popoola AA, Awoyemi OR, Ayodele OE. Quality of life of Nigerians living with human immunodeficiency virus. Pan African Medical Journal. 2014; 18:1-11. https://doi.org/10.11604/pamj.2014.18.234.2816
11. Bakiono F, Ouédraogo L, Sanou M, Samadoulougou S, Wendpouiré P, Guiguemdé L, et al. Quality of life in people living with HIV: a cross-sectional study in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. Springer Plus. 2014; 3:372. https://doi.org/10.1186/2193-1801-3-372
12. Zimbardo PG, Boyd JN. Putting Time in Perspective: A Valid, Reliable Individual-Differences Metric. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1999; 77(6):1271-1288.
13. Fieulaine N, Martinez F. Time under control: Time perspective and desire for control in substance use. Addictive Behaviors. 2010; 35(8): 799-802. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2010.03.022
14. Leite UR, Pasquali L. Estudo de validação do Inventário de Perspectiva de Tempo do Zimbardo. Avaliação Psicológica. 2008; 7(3): 301-320.
15. Préau M, Apostolidis T, Francois C, Raffi F, Spire B. Time perspective and quality of life among HIV-infected patients in the context of HAART. AIDS Care. 2007; 19(4): 449-58. https://doi.org/10.1080/09540120601017464
16. Oliveira DC. Qualidade de vida e construções simbólicas de pessoas que vivem com HIV/aids no Rio de Janeiro. Projeto de Pesquisa Edital Universal 2013 do CNPq, 2013.
17. Razera F. Fatores associados à qualidade de vida em saúde de pacientes infectados pelo vírus da imunodeficiência humana. 2007. 108 p. Dissertação (Mestrado) – Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, 2007.
18. Zimpel RR, Fleck MP. Quality of life in HIV-positive Brazilians: application and validation of the WHOQOL-HIV, Brazilian version. AIDS Care. 2007; 19(7): 923- 930. https://doi.org/10.1080/09540120701213765
19. World Health Organisation. Instrumento Manual do Usuário. Departamento de Saúde Mental E Dependência Química. 2002.
20. Brown TA. Confirmatory Factor Analysis for Applied Research. The Guilford Pres. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/1073191110393106
21. Cecilio HPM, Apostolidis T, Lampropoulos D, Oliveira DC. Versão curta do Inventário de Perspectiva Temporal de Zimbardo (ZTPI-25): validação brasileira. Research, Society and Development. 2021; 10(2): e43410212776. https://doi.org/10.33448/rsd-v10i2.12776
22. Santos VF, Pedrosa SC, Aquino PS, Lima ICV, Cunha GH, Galvão MTG. Social support of people with HIV/AIDS: the Social Determinants of Health Model. Rev Bras Enferm. 2018; 71(Suppl 1):625-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/0034-7167-2017-0346
23. Hipolito RL, Oliveira DC, Cecilio HPM, Marques SC, Flores PVP, Costa TL, Lima FO. Qualidade de vida de pessoas vivendo com HIV e suas relações multifatoriais. Research, Society and Development. 2020; 9(7): e82973749. http://dx.doi.org/10.33448/rsd-v9i7.3749
24. Cecilio HPM, Oliveira DS, Apostolidis T, Dany L, Oliveira DC. Time perspective, socioeconomical status and quality of life of people living with HIV. Research, Society and Development. 2020; 9(8): e14898545. http://dx.doi.org/10.33448/rsd-v9i8.5451
25. Siu NYF, Lam HHY, Le JJY, Przepiorka AM. Time perception and time perspective differences between adolescents and adults. Acta Psychologica. 2014: 151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actpsy.2014.06.013
26. Dany L, Roussel P, Laguette V, Lagouanelle-Simeoni M-C, Apostolidis T. Time perspective, socioeconomic status, and psychological distress in chronic pain patients. Psychology Health & Medicine. 2015; 21(3): 295-308. https://doi.org/10.1080/13548506.2015.1062900
27. Orkibi H. Psychometric Properties of the Hebrew Short Version of the Zimbardo Time Perspective Inventory. Evaluation & the Health Professions. 2014; 38(2): 219- 245. https://doi.org/10.1177/0163278714531601
28. Worrell FC, Mckay MT, Andretta JR. Concurrent validity of Zimbardo Time Perspective Inventory pro files: A secondary analysis of data from the United Kingdom. Journal of Adolescence. 2015; 42:128-139. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2015.04.006
29. Abousselam N, Naudé L, Lens W, Esterhuyse K. The relationship between future time perspective, self-efficacy and risky sexual behaviour in the Black youth of central South Africa. Journal of Mental Health. 2015;1-8. https://doi.org/10.3109/09638237.2015.1078884
30. Muro A, Castellà J, Sotoca C, Estaún S, Valero S. To what extent is personality associated with time perspective?. 2015; 31(1999):488-493.
31. Guthrie LC, Lessl K, Ochi O, Ward MM. Time perspective and smoking, obesity, and exercise in a community sample. Am J Health Behav. 2013; 37(2):171-80. https://doi.org/10.5993/AJHB.37.2.4
32. Sansbury B, Dasgupta A, Guthrie L, Ward MM. Time perspective and medication adherence among individuals with hypertension or diabetes mellitus. Patient Educ Couns. 2014; 95(1):104-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2013.12.016
33. Oyanadel C, Buela-Casal G. La percepción del tiempo: influencias en la salud física y mental The Perception of Time: Influences on Physical and Mental Health, 2011; 149-162.
34. Oliveira DC, Oliveira DS, Cecilio HPM, Apostolidis T, Coqueiro RS. Time perspective and associated factors in Brazilians living with HIV. British Journal of Nursing, 2019; 28(9): 580-586.
35. Silva J, Bunn K, Bertoni RF, Neves OA, Traebert J. Quality of life of people living with HIV. AIDS Care, 2013; 25(1): 71-76. https://doi.org/10.1080/09540121.2012.686594
36. Akirmak U. How is Time Perspective Related to Perceptions of Self and of Interpersonal Relationships? The Spanish Journal of Psychology. 2014; 17:E92. https://doi.org/10.1017/sjp.2014.92
37. Oliveira DS, Cecilio HPM, Oliveira DC. Perspectiva temporal: discussões sobre a aplicação do conceito na área da saúde e enfermagem. Rev enferm UERJ. 2020; 28:e40392. http://dx.doi.org/10.12957/reuerj.2020.40392
38. Boniwell I, Osin E, Linley PA, Ivanchenko GV. A question of balance: time perspective and well-being in British and Russian samples. J Posit Psychol. 2010; 5(1):24-40. https://doi.org/10.1080/17439760903271181