Main Article Content
Since the beginning of 2020 the world has been experiencing difficult times due the eruption and subsequent effects of a coronavirus called Covid-19. So far it has caused more than 6 million deaths, many more millions active patients and hundreds of millions recovered. More importantly many things in our economic, political, social and academic lives have changed for good. To be fair and balanced, we can talk about both negative and positive effects of Corona. On the one hand, in our so-called “new normal,” government regulations and state interventions became more visible, inflation climbed to record-high levels all over the world, we lost some of our loved ones, and wearing mask became part of our life. On the other hand, sensitivity to hygiene and cleanliness has increased, technological infrastructure and digitalization has been improved tremendously in this process, many educational services started to be offered over the internet, and virtual zoom-meetings became part of our academic life. This article reviews the basic effects of Covid-19 on economic and social life from both perspectives, negative as well as positive.
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
2. Kilic O. Pandemics Throughout History and Their Effect on Society Life, in Seker M, Ozer A, Korkut C, eds, Reflections on the Pandemic in the Future of the World, Ankara: Turkish Academy of Sciences. 2020:15-53.
3. WHO. WHO Coronavirus (COVID-19) Dashboard. 2022. Accessed December 31, 2022. https://covid19.who.int/
4. Acar M. Korona Kimin Başının Altından Çıkma? [Who Produced Corona?]. 2020. Accessed December 30, 2022.
5. Arabacı A O. Yeni Koronavirüs Salgınının Bir Deney Olduğu İddiaları. [Claims on the New Coronavirus Pandemic As An Experiment]. 2020. Accessed December 30, 2022. https://teyit.org/yeni-koronavirus-salgininin-bir-deney-oldugu-iddialari/
6. Bitchute. American Doctors’ Evaluations on Covid-19. First Published on May 16, 2020. Accessed December 30, 2022.
7. Cevik E. Koronavirüs Bir Sosyal Deney mi? [Is Coronavirus a Social Experiment?]. 2020. Accessed December 30, 2022.
8. Internethaber. Corona Virüs Asisiyla Herkesi Kisirlastıracaklar! [Everyone Will Be Sterilized by the Corona Vaccine]. May 19, 2020. Accessed December 30, 2022.
9. Milli Gazete, Turkish Daily, April 30, 2020. Accessed December 30, 2022.
10. Yılmam, Ilhan. Bildiginiz Her Seyi Unutun-Dügmeye Basildi [Forget Everything You Know-Someone Pushed the Button]. May 13, 2020. Accessed December 30, 2022.
11. Duran M. S., and Acar, M. Bir Virüsün Dünyaya Ettikleri: Covid-19 Pandemisinin Makroekonomik Etkileri, [What A Virus Could Do to the World: Macroeconomic Effects of Covid-19], IJSES (International Journal of Social and Economic Sciences), 2020, 10(1):54-67
12. Seker M, Ozer A, Korkut C, Eds. Reflections on the Pandemic in the Future of the World, Ankara: Turkish Academy of Sciences. 2020.
13. Ozili P K, Arun T. Spillover of COVID-19: Impact on The Global Economy. 2020. Available at SSRN 3562570.
14. IMF. Data from International Monetary Fund, “Fiscal Monitor Update,” 2021.
15. World Bank. Economic Impacts of the Covid-19 Crisis. 2022. Accessed December 26, 2022.
16. Acar M. Iktisadın Evrensel Yasalari ve Kadim Sorunlari [Universal Laws and Eternal Debates of Economics]. Konya: Literatürk-Academia. 2018.
17. OECD. Interim Economic Outlook 112 database; and Economic Outlook 111 database. 2022. Accessed December 26, 2022.
18. TCMB. Monetary Developments. 2022. Accessed: December 30, 2022.
19. Reed L. Seven Principles of Sound Public Policy. Mackinac Center for Public Policy, Detroit, Michigan. June 29, 2008.
20. Friedman M. and Friedman R. Free to Choose. New York and London: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. 1980.
21. TCMB. Price Index, Consumer Prices (Inflation Figures). 2022. Accessed Dec. 30, 2022. https://www.tcmb.gov.tr/wps/wcm/connect/TR/TCMB+TR/Main+Menu/Istatistikler/Enflasyon+Verileri/Tuketici+Fiyatlari
22. Maral, S. Family Cohesion of Married Parents During the Covid-19 Pandemic. Ankara: Hacettepe University, Institute of Educational Sciences, Master’s Thesis, 2022.
23. Varisli, B., Gültekin, T. Yaşlı ayrımcılığının pandemi hali: COVID-19 sürecinde kuşaklararası etkileşimin dönüşümü [Pandemic variant of elderly discrimination: transformation of inter-generational interaction in the process of COVID-19]. Turkish Studies, 2020, 15(4), 1227–1237. https://dx.doi.org/10.7827/TurkishStudies.44376
24. UNDP. COVID-19 Pandemic. 2020. https://www.undp.org/tr/turkiye/covid-19-pandemisi
25. ILO, International Labor Organization. ILO Monitor: COVID-19 and the world of work, 2020. https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/dgreports/dcomm/documents/briefingnote/wcms_740877.pdf
26. UNESCO, Gender equality and equity. 2020. https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000121145
27. Akbaş-Zeybekoğlu, Ö. and Dursun, C. Koronavirüs (Covid-19) pandemisi sürecinde özel alanına kamusal alanı sığdıran çalışan anneler [Working moms who crammed public squares into their private squares in the Coronavirus process]. Avrasya Sosyal ve Ekonomi Araştırmaları Dergisi (ASEAD), 2020, 7(5), 78–94.
28. Campbell, A. M. An increasing risk of family violence during the Covid-19 pandemic: Strengthening community collaborations to save lives. Forensic Science International: Reports, 2, 2020, 1–3. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsir.2020.100089
29. WTO, COVID-19 strategy update. 2020. https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/covid-19-strategy-update
30. Abukan, B., Yildirim, F. and Oztürk, H. Covid-19 salgınında çocuk olmak: Gelişim dönemlerine göre sosyal hizmet gereksinimleri ve öneriler [Being a child in the Covid-19 pandemic: social service needs according to development stages and suggestions]. Turkish Studies, 2020, 15(6), 1–14. https://dx.doi.org/10.7827/TurkishStudies.44416
31. Isik, A. Koronavirüs (Covid-19) salgını döneminde ailede krize müdahale [Dealing with the crisis within the family in the period of Coronavirus]. Akademia, Doğa ve İnsan Bilimleri Dergisi, 2020, 6(1), 1–9.
32. Usher, K., Bhullar, N., Durkin, J., Gyamfi, N. and Jackson, D. Family violence and COVID-19: Increased vulnerability and reduced options for support. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, 2020, 29(4), 549–552. https://doi.org/10.1111/inm.12735
33. Skousen M. The Making of Modern Economics: The Lives and Ideas of the Great Thinkers, M.E. Sharpe. 2001. Turkish Translation by Acar, M., Toprak M. and Erdem, E., 7th Ed., Ankara: Adres, 2016.