PURPOSEFUL AND ADAPTIVE LEADERSHIP: Characteristics of Jokowi's Strategic Policies to Fight the Covid-19 in Indonesia
Main Article Content
The pandemic of the Covid-19 has become a strategic surprise that called leaders of the world to make purposeful and adaptive decisions. In a pandemic characterized by VUCA (Volatility, Uncertainty, Complexity, Ambiguity), the uncertainty and unpredictability of changes are the most visible characteristics. A good leader will be known from his/her capacity to handle this uncertainty and unpredictability with his/her strategic decisions to find creative solutions. The objective of this study is to make an observation on Jokowi’s political decisions during the Covid-19 pandemic in Indonesia. Did he represent characteristics of a purposelful and adaptive leader to find creative solutions amidst the pros and cons of the people during the Covid-19 pandemic? Accademic literatures on his strategic decisions such as the Large Scale Social Restriction, establishment of the Covid-19 Task Force, provision of health service centers, establishment of information centers, military/police mobilization, provision of socioeconomic protection, and his political decisions will be the sources of information on which the discussion about his leadership will be built. He presented himself as a leader who carefully consider the goals/targets, ways/methods, and means of achieving the targets. He showed the courage to make strategic decisions, was creative in problem-solving, and was always present in the midst of humanitarian disasters. His leadership is characterized by clear purpose to keep people’s well-being in the time of crisis with an flexibility to choose creative solution to the problem.
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
2. Haqi, F.I, Atabik, M.Z, Aldi R. The Role of Collaborative Leadership in Handling Pandemic and Drive a Sustainable Recovery. https://penerbit.brin.go.id/press/catalog/download/537/535/11646-1?inline=1. Accessed March 6, 2023.
3. Nelson C.R. The Life and Work of General Andrew J. Goodpaster. New York: Rowman & Littlefield, 2016, 243-244.
4. Bass, B.M, Bass, R. The Bass Handbook of Leadership: Theory, Research, and Managerial Applications. New York: Free Press, 2016.
5. Fahlevy M.R, Noor M, Gunawan, I.K, Mahfin A. President Joko Widodo’s Leadership Style Model in Controlling COVID-19. Logos. 2022;5(2):129.
6. Mirčetić V, Vukotić S, Karabašević D. Effective Leadership in the Covid-19 Pandemic: Responsible Responses to Crisis. Pregledni Rad/Scientific Review. Conference Proceeding PILC 2021: Leadership after Covid-19, 432.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/355132483_Effective_leadership_in_the_COVID-19_pandemic_Responsible_responses_to_crisis. Accessed January 7, 2023
7. Meyer B. Pandemic Populism: An Analysis of Populist Leader’s Responses to Covid-19 https://institute.global/policy/pandemic-populism-analysis-populist-leaders-covid-19. Accessed February 12, 2023.
8. Fealy G. Jokowi in the Covid-19 Era: Repressive Pluralism, Dynasticism and the Overbearing State. Bulletin of Indonesian Econoic studies. 2020;56(3):301.
9. Schneeweiss Z, Murtaugh D, Bloomberg Economics. This Is How Deeply the Coronavirus Changed Our Behaviors. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-05-28/coronavirus-lockdown-crushed-economies-jobs-energy-and-shops?leadSource=uverify%20wall. Accessed March 05, 2023.
10. Ikmal N.M, Noor M. Kebijakan Pemerintah Indonesia dalam Penanganan Covid-19. Jurnal Litbang Provinsi Jawa Tengah. 2021 19(2):158.
11. Fahlevy M.R, Noor M, Gunawan, I.K, Mahfin A. President Joko Widodo’s Leadership Style Model in Controlling COVID-19. Logos. 2022;5(2):133.
12. Hastuti P, Harefa D.N, Napitupulu J.I.M. Tinjauan Kebijakan Pemberlakuan Lockdown, PHK, PSBB sebagai Antisipasi Penyebaran Covid-19 terhadap Stabilitas Sistem Moneter. http://digilib.unimed.ac.id/40558/1/Fulltext.pdf. Accessed February 28, 2023.
13. Fealy G. Jokowi in the Covid-19 Era: Repressive Pluralism, Dynasticism and the Overbearing State. Bulletin of Indonesian Econoic studies. 2020;56(3):304.
14. Mufida S, Cempaka Timur F.G, et.al. Strategi Pemerintah Indonesia dalam Menangani Wabah Covid-19 dari Perspektif Ekonomi. Independen: Jurnal Politik Indonesia dan Global. 2020 1(2): 121.
15. Sakir, Fairuz Arta Abhipraya, et.al. From Downplaying go Giving Illiberal Responses: Jokowi’s Populist Leadership Amidst Covid-19. Advances in Social Science, Education and Humanities Research, 2021 626: 200.
16. Jung E. Indonesia. From the Pandemic Crisis to Democratic Decline in: Nils Ringe – Lucio Rennó. Populists and The Pandemic. How Populist around the World Responded to Covid-19. Routledge; 2023, 138.
17. Fealy G. Jokowi in the Covid-19 Era: Repressive Pluralism, Dynasticism and the Overbearing State. Bulletin of Indonesian Econoic studies. 2020;56(3):301.
18. Jung E. Indonesia. From the Pandemic Crisis to Democratic Decline, 138.
19. Yulivan I, Anriani S. Leadership Strategies in Dealing with Strategic Surprise of Covid-19 Pandemic in Indonesia. Italienisch. 2002 12(2): 824.
20. Kenny P, Populism in Southeast Asia (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press), 2019, 54.
21. Darmawan C, Zaenudin H.N, Leadership Representation of Jokowi Post-Presidential Election in Indonesia.
https://eudl.eu/pdf/10.4108/eai.21-10-2020.2311832. Accessed March 6, 2023.
22. Novianty, S.M, Salamah, U. Seeing Jokowi, The President of Indonesia’s Leadership: Case Study of Goldhaber’s The Charisma Factor in Leadership Theory.
23. Sucharithanarugse W. Joko Widodo’s Leadership. http://www.copag.msu.ac.th/conference4/files/PDF/16.2.Withaya%20Sucharithanarugse%20726-734.pdf#. Accessed March 07, 2023.
24. Hannum M.E, Purposeful Leadership and Why It Matters.
https://www.linkageinc.com/wp-content/uploads/Linkage_Purposeful_Leadership_Why_It_Matters.pdf. Accessed January 5, 2023.
25. CPID, Technical Report June 2017. https://www.cipd.co.uk/Images/purposeful-leadership_2017-technical-report_tcm18-24076.pdf. Accessed January 3, 2022.
26. Yukl G, Mahsud R. Why Flexible and Adaptive Leadership is Essential. Consulting Psychology Journal: Pranctice and Research 2010 62(2):86.