Finding and Being a Mentor through a Lifetime
Main Article Content
Mentor has roots in Greek mythology. Its current practitioners have lent their own interpretation and meaning by their actions. We offer the case studies and lived experience of a select group who have never met all the others. Each asked the same questions, they tell the story of how each found their mentor(s), try to be mentors themselves, and what they try to impart to their mentees through the vicissitudes of their professional responsibilities and personal lives over a career.
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
2. Liang MH, Roberts WN. The rules of American academic medicine for the would-be-clinical investigator. Rheumatol Review 1994; 3:87-90.
3. Ogdie A, Shah AA, Makris UE, Jiang Y, Nelson AE, Kim AHJ, Angeles-Han ST, Castelino FV, Golding A, Muscal E, Kahlenberg JM, Barg FK. Barriers and facilitators of a career as a physician scientist among rheumatologists in the United States. Arthritis Care & Research. 2015; 67 (9): 1191-1201. DOI: 10.1002/acr.22569.
4. Gawande A. Top athletes and singers have coaches. Should you? New Yorker, October 3, 2011.
5. Vliet Vlieland TPM, van den Ende CH, Alliot-Launois F, et al. Educational needs of health professionals working in rheumatology in Europe. RMD Open 2016;2:e00033. doi: 10.1136/rmdopen-2016-000337
6. Henry-Noel N , Maria Bishop M , Clement K Gwede CK , Ekaterina Petkova E, Ewa Szumacher E. Mentorship in Medicine and Other Health Professions. J Cancer Educ. 2019; 34(4):629-637. doi: 10.1007/s13187-018-1360-6. PMID: 29691796.
7. Liang MH, Lew E. Halsted R. Holman and the Struggle for the Soul of Medicine. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Lady Stephenson Library, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, 2022.
8. Geng LN, Verghese A, Tilburt JC. Consultative Medicine — An Emerging Specialty for Patients with Perplexing Conditions.2021. N Engl J Med. 2021; 385:2478-2484. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMms2111017
9. Liang MH. In Memoriam – Lawren H. Daltroy (December 23, 1948 – September 22, 2003, Health Ed & Behavior. 2007; 34: 543-545.
10. Lansdale III, TF. A Medical Center is not a Hospital. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2008; 75: 618-619.
11. Flower C, Hennis AJM, Hambleton Ir, Nicholson GD, Liang MH and The Barbados National Lupus Registry Group. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus In An African Caribbean Population: Incidence, Clinical Manifestations and Survival In The Barbados National Lupus Registry. Arthritis Care & Research.2012; 64 (8): 1151–1158. Doi 10.1002/Acr.21656
12. Flower CH, Hennis AJ, Liang MH. Report of an international symposium on narrowing the Gap in the treatment and study of SLE worldwide: minimum best practices in the management and monitoring of moderate to severe SLE and improving outcomes in constrained environments. Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine. 2011; 4(3):105-112. DOI: 10.1007/s12178-011-9080-0 PMID: 21505771 PMCID: PMC3261257
13. Flower C, Weir S. Lupus Essentials by the Hope Foundation. 2022.
14. Plews-Ogan M, Owens JE, May N. Choosing Wisdom. Templeton Press, Pennsylvania, 2012.