Main Article Content
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) is a rare neurodegenerative disease of undetermined etiology, In Creutzfeldt-Jakob syndrome the symptomatology is quite variable and it consist of predominantly progressive dementia with a rapid onset, myoclonus, and also cerebellar, pyramidal, extrapyramidal and visual signs, the evolution of this disease is uniformly fatal, most patients die within 12 months, we present a case of a 72 year old women, who was admitted for a status epilepticus, She was later diagnosed with sporadic CJD.
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
2. Trachtenbroit I, Cohen OS, Chapman J, Rosenmann H, Nitsan Z, Kahana E, et al. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of patients with late-onset Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Neurol Sci. 2022;43(7):4275–4279.
3. Parchi P, Castellani R, Capellari S, Ghetti B, Young K, Chen SG, et al. Molecular basis of phenotypic variability in sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Ann Neurol. 1996;39(6):767–778.
4. Mackenzie G, Will R. Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: recent developments. F1000Res. 2017;6:2053.
5. Brandel J-P. Les maladies à prions ou encéphalopathies spongiformes transmissibles. La Revue de Médecine Interne. 2022;43(2):106–115.
6. Ladogana A, Puopolo M, Croes EA, Budka H, Jarius C, Collins S, et al. Mortality from Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and related disorders in Europe, Australia, and Canada. Neurology. 2005;64(9):1586–1591.
7. Parry J, Tuch P, Knezevic W, Fabian V. Creutzfeldt-Jakob syndrome presenting as epilepsia partialis continua. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 2001;8(3):266–268.
8. Court L, Bert J. [Electrophysiology of transmissible encephalopathies]. Pathol Biol (Paris). 1995;43(1):25–42.
9. Espinosa PS, Bensalem-Owen MK, Fee DB. Sporadic Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease presenting as nonconvulsive status epilepticus case report and review of the literature. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery. 2010;112(6):537–540.
10. Shiga Y, Miyazawa K, Sato S, Fukushima R, Shibuya S, Sato Y, et al. Diffusion-weighted MRI abnormalities as an early diagnostic marker for Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Neurology. 2004;63(3):443–449.
11. Beaudry P, Cohen P, Brandel JP, Delasnerie-Lauprêtre N, Richard S, Launay JM, et al. 14-3-3 protein, neuron-specific enolase, and S-100 protein in cerebrospinal fluid of patients with Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 1999;10(1):40–46.
12. Appleby BS, Shetty S, Elkasaby M. Genetic aspects of human prion diseases. Front Neurol. 2022;13:1003056.
13. Hermann P, Appleby B, Brandel J-P, Caughey B, Collins S, Geschwind MD, et al. Biomarkers and diagnostic guidelines for sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Lancet Neurol. 2021;20(3):235–246.