Main Article Content
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
2) Institute of Medicine (US) Roundtable on Evidence-Based Medicine; Yong PL, Saunders RS, Olsen LA, editors. The Healthcare Imperative: Lowering Costs and Improving Outcomes: Workshop Series Summary. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2010. 10, Transparency of Cost and Performance. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK53921/
3) Pitts SR1, Carrier ER, Rich EC, Kellermann AL. Where Americans get acute care: increasingly, it's not at their doctor's office. Health Aff (Millwood). 2010 Sep;29(9):1620-9. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2009.1026.
4) Schleyer AM1, Robinson E2, Dumitru R3, Taylor M4, Hayes K5, Pergamit R2, Beingessner DM6, Zaros MC1, Cuschieri J7. Preventing hospital-acquired venous thromboembolism: Improving patient safety with interdisciplinary teamwork, quality improvement analytics, and data transparency. J Hosp Med. 2016 Dec;11 Suppl 2:S38-S43. doi: 10.1002/jhm.2664.
5) Gamble KH. Wait watchers. Smart organizations are demonstrating that while they can't erase ED wait times, they can leverage technology to keep patients better informed. Healthc Inform. 2010 Apr;27(4):30-1.
6) Pines JM1, Lotrecchiano GR2, Zocchi MS3, Lazar D4, Leedekerken JB4, Margolis GS5, Carr BG6. A Conceptual Model for Episodes of Acute, Unscheduled Care. Ann Emerg Med. 2016 Oct;68(4):484-491.e3. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2016.05.029. Epub 2016 Jul 7.
7) Fleurence R1, Whicher D, Dunham K, Gerson J, Newhouse R, Luce B. The Patient-centered Outcomes Research Institute's Role in Advancing Methods for Patient-centered Outcomes Research. Med Care. 2015 Jan;53(1):2-8. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000000244.
8) Xu LW1, Li A1, Swinney C1, Babu M2, Veeravagu A1, Wolfe SQ3, Nahed BV4, Ratliff JK1; in affiliation with the Council of State Neurosurgical Societies. An assessment of data and methodology of online surgeon scorecards. J Neurosurg Spine. 2017 Feb;26(2):235-242. doi: 10.3171/2016.7.SPINE16183. Epub 2016 Sep 23.
9) Merchant RM1, Asch DA, Hershey JC, Griffis HM, Hill S, Saynisch O, Leung AC, Asch JM, Lozada K, Nadkarni LD, Kilaru A, Branas CC, Stone EM, Starr L, Shofer F, Nichol G, Becker LB. A crowdsourcing innovation challenge to locate and map automated external defibrillators. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2013 Mar 1;6(2):229-36. doi: 10.1161/CIRCOUTCOMES.113.000140. Epub 2013 Mar 12.
10) Ranard BL1, Werner RM2, Antanavicius T3, Schwartz HA4, Smith RJ5, Meisel ZF6, Asch DA7, Ungar LH8, Merchant RM9. Yelp Reviews Of Hospital Care Can Supplement And Inform Traditional Surveys Of The Patient Experience Of Care. Health Aff (Millwood). 2016 Apr;35(4):697-705. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2015.1030.
11) Kangovi S1, Barg FK, Carter T, Long JA, Shannon R, Grande D. Understanding why patients of low socioeconomic status prefer hospitals over ambulatory care. Health Aff (Millwood). 2013 Jul;32(7):1196-203. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2012.0825.
12) What is EMS? National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Office of EMS. Available online at https://www.ems.gov/whatisems.html
13) Morganti KG, Alpert A, Margolis G, et al. Should payment policy be changed to allow a wider range of EMS transport options? Ann Emerg Med. 2014;63(5):615–26.
14) Sullivan AF1, Richman IB, Ahn CJ, Auerbach BS, Pallin DJ, Schafermeyer RW, Clark S, Camargo CA Jr. A profile of US emergency departments in 2001. Ann Emerg Med. 2006 Dec;48(6):694-701. Epub 2006 Oct 25.
15) Goldfrank L1, Henneman PL, Ling LJ, Prescott JE, Rosen C, Sama A. Emergency center categorization standards. Acad Emerg Med. 1999 Jun;6(6):638-55.
16) Raven M, Lowe RA, Maselli J, Hsia RY. Comparison of presenting complaint vs. discharge diagnosis for identifying “non-emergency” emergency department visits. JAMA. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2014 Mar 20. Published in final edited form as: JAMA. 2013 Mar 20; 309(11): 1145–1153. doi: 10.1001/jama.2013.1948
17) Schneider SM1, Gardner AF, Weiss LD, Wood JP, Ybarra M, Beck DM, Stauffer AR, Wilkerson D, Brabson T, Jennings A, Mitchell M, McGrath RB, Christopher TA, King B, Muelleman RL, Wagner MJ, Char DM, McGee DL, Pilgrim RL, Moskovitz JB, Zinkel AR, Byers M, Briggs WT, Hobgood CD, Kupas DF, Kruger J, Stratford CJ, Jouriles N. The future of emergency medicine. Ann Emerg Med. 2010 Aug;56(2):178-83. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2010.04.011. Epub 2010 Jun 26.
18) Emergency Care Coordination Center. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Available online at https://www.phe.gov/eccc/Pages/default.aspx.
19) Gindi RM, Cohen RA, Kirzinger WK. Emergency Room Use Among Adults Aged 18-64: Early Release of Estimates From the National Health Interview Survey, January-June 2011. The Center’s for Disease Control. Available online at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhis/earlyrelease/emergency_room_use_january-june_2011.pdf
20) Russell Hill, Albert Gest, Cynthia Smith, Jose H. Guardiola, Michael Apolinario, Joann Ha, Jose R. Gonzalez, Peter B. Richman. Are patients who call a primary care office referred to the emergency department by non-healthcare personnel without the input of a physician? PeerJ. 2016; 4: e1507. Published online 2016 Mar 28. doi: 10.7717/peerj.1507
21) Morganti et al. Research Report: The Evolving Role of Emergency Departments in the United States. RAND Health. Available online at http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR200/RR280/RAND_RR280.appendix.pdf
22) Altman, Drew. The Affordable Care Act’s Little-Noticed Success: Cutting the Uninsured Rate [Internet]. Menlo Park (CA): Kaiser Family Foundation; 2016 Oct [cited 2017 April 20]. Available from: http://kff.org/uninsured/perspective/the-affordable-care-acts-little-noticed-success-cutting-the-uninsured-rate/
23) Dresden SM1, Powell ES2, Kang R3, McHugh M2, Cooper AJ4, Feinglass J4. Increased Emergency Department Use in Illinois After Implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Ann Emerg Med. 2017 Feb;69(2):172-180. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2016.06.026. Epub 2016 Aug 25.
24) Finkelstein AN1, Taubman SL1, Allen HL1, Wright BJ1, Baicker K1. Effect of Medicaid Coverage on ED Use - Further Evidence from Oregon's Experiment. N Engl J Med. 2016 Oct 20;375(16):1505-1507.
25) Task of Ensuring Access to Vulnerable Populations. American Hospital Association. Available online at http://www.aha.org/content/16/ensuring-access-taskforce-report.pdf
26) Ely M, Hyde LK, Donaldson A, Furnival R, Mann NC. Evaluating state capacity to collect and analyze emergency medical services data. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2006 Jan-Mar;10(1):14-20.