Main Article Content
This is an MBA project aiming to provide recommendation to a Principal in the hospitality industry wanting to start a global brand amidst a pandemic, which in certain parts of the world has evolved to become an endemic. Pandemic or not, Covid and its variants are global matters, thus of intimate concerns to a global brand development. The analysis will focus on both the macro (global) picture of the pandemic on the hospitality industry as well as a micro (regional) detail of the starting locality. This MBA project concentrates on the time period of Jan. 15- 31, 2022. The project asks the question: If we were to advise the launching of the brand given this 2-week intensive study of the issues involved, what are the pertinent information for the Principal to consider? Decision Intelligence interplayed with a partial SWOT analysis can inform the Principal of making crucial decisions. It is important to identify the Weakness(W) and the Threats (T) for a new brand in order for Strengths (S) and Opportunities (O) to nourish the growing of the brand.
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
2. Lorne FT. The 5-pronged attack of the coronavirus war. International Journal of Health and Medical Science; 2021;7:1-7. Available at: https://dx.doi.org/10.20469/ijhms.7.30001. Accessed January 21, 2022
3. Shepert E. Dr. Bonnie Henry says 70 per cent of people getting tested for COVID-19 don't have it. Vancouver is Awesome. January 21, 2022. https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/coronavirus-covid-19-local-news/dr-bonnie-henry-says-70-per-cent-of-people-getting-tested-for-covid-19-dont-have-it-4980297
4. Judd A, Zussman R. B.C.’s top doctor signals major shift in COVID strategy, says contact tracing no longer useful. Global News. January 22, 2022. https://globalnews.ca/news/8529397/bc-covid-friday-isolation-guidelines/
5. Smith C. Dr. Bonnie Henry declares that Omicron is not innocuous. Georgia Straight. January 21, 2022. https://www.straight.com/living/dr-bonnie-henry-declares-that-omicron-is-not-innocuous
6. Gecco L. Possible case of deer-to human Covid infection identified in Canada. The Guardian for 200 years. February 28, 2022. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/28/deer-human-covid-transmission-possible-canada?fbclid=IwAR36BlHtFm0Oa-y5YsiPX7Bst29gzdLBjHsyv8Igye2GMFntajs4QHclAJA
7. Omicron wave has likely peaked in B.C., but hospitalizations still on the rise: Henry. CHEK watch Local. January 14, 2022. https://www.cheknews.ca/b-c-health-officials-to-provide-covid-19-modelling-update-friday-937138/
8. Watson B. Omicron transmission is declining in B.C., modelling suggests – but hospitalizations have yet to peak. CBC News. January 14, 2022. https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6315010
9. Yadoo J, Yoo K. Omicron to Hit U.S. Growth in Early 2022, Inflation Seen Higher. Bloomberg. January 14, 2022. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-14/omicron-to-hit-u-s-growth-in-early-2022-inflation-seen-higher
10. Diaz DB, Kinfemichael B, & Lorne FT. COVID-19 Positivity Rate as a measure of the potency of the virus in Humans' War against the virus. Journal of Business and Social Science Review; 2020; 1(10):35-43
11. Swaminathan V, Sorescu A, Steenkamp JBE, et.al. Branding in a hyperconnected world: Refocusing theories and rethinking boundaries. Journal of Marketing. 2020;84(2), 24-46. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022242919899905
12. Hunt DS. The ethics of branding, customer-brand relationships, brand-equity strategy, and branding as a societal institution. Journal of Business Research; 2019;95:408-416.
13. Kapferer JN. The New Strategic Brand Management: Creating and sustaining brand equity long term. 4th ed. Kogan Page; 2012
14. Menon S. Branding and Models of Branding. International Journal of Research and Scientific Innovation (IJRSI); 2016:47-53. Available at: https://www.academia.edu/29406896/Branding_and_Models_of_Branding
15. Whitfield D. What is Rebranding? 6 Best Rebranding Examples & 4 Top Strategies. Hubspot. September, 2021. https://blog.hubspot.com/agency/develop-brand-identityhttps://blog.hubspot.com/agency/develop-brand-identity. Publishes September, 2021
16. Sharma A, Kumar V, Borah SB. Ritualization: A strategic tool to position Brands in International Markets. Journal of International Marketing. 2017; 25(2):1-24. https://doi.org/10.1509/jim.16.0104
17. Godin S. This is Marketing: You Can’t Be Seen Until You Learn To See. Penguin Publishing Group. 2nd ed. Portfolio/Penguin; 2018
18. Mircea M, Ghilic-Micu B, Stoica M. An agile architecture framework that leverages the strengths of business intelligence, decision management and service orientation. Business Intelligence; 2012:15–32. doi: 10.5772/35477
19. Pratt L. Link: How Decision Intelligence Connects Data, Actions, and Outcomes for a Better World. Emerald Publishing Limited; 2019
20. Baynova Y. Rebranding is a Challenge - 5 Steps You Can Take to Successfully Rebrand Your Hotel in 2020. Clock PMS+; July 21, 2020.
https://www.clock-software.com/blog/successul-hotel-rebranding.html. Publishes July 21, 2020
21. World Health Organization. WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19. Updated March 11, 2020. https://www.who.int/director-general/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---11-march-2020
22. Gossling S, Scott D, Hall C. Pandemics, tourism and global change: A rapid assessment of COVID-19.” Journal of Sustainable Tourism. 2020; 29(1), 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1080/09669582.2020.1758708
23. Murray CJL. COVID-19 will continue but the end of the pandemic is near. The Lancet; January 19, 2022;399(10323):417-418. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(22)00100-3
24. Destination Canada. Tourism’s big shift: key trends shaping the future of Canada; 2022:1-59. Available at: https://www.destinationcanada.com/sites/default/files/archive/1515-Tourism%27s%20Big%20Shift%3A%20Key%20Trends%20Shaping%20the%20Future%20of%20Canada%27s%20Tourism%20Industry%20-%20November%202021/Destination%20Canada_Tourism%26%23039%3Bs%20Big%20Shift_Report_November%202021_EN.pdf
25. OpenTable. The restaurant industry in recovery; February 1, 2022. Available at: https://www.opentable.com/state-of-industry
26. Numerator. Know More about COVID-19 Consumer Sentiments & Behaviors; 2022. Available at: https://www.numerator.com/coronavirus/consumer-sentiment
27. Rokni L. The Psychological Consequences of COVID-19 Pandemic in Tourism Sector: A Systematic Review. Iran J Public Health. 2021; 50(9):1743-1756. http://dx.doi.org/10.18502/ijph.v50i9.7045
28. American Psychological Association. Stress in America: One Year Later, A New Wave of Pandemic Health Concerns. Stressinamerica.org; 2021:1-9. Available at: https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/stress/2021/sia-pandemic-report.pdf
29. Poitevien J. What Does Travel Anxiety Look Like In 2021? Conde Nast Traveler; January 19, 2021. Available at: https://www.cntraveler.com/story/what-does-travel-anxiety-look-like-in-2021
30. Total International Arrivals to Canada. Destination Canada. 2021. https://www.destinationcanada.com/en/research#tourismincanada
31. Destination Canada, 2022 Webcast Powerpoint.